MRV Star Kits On Sale Now
Thanks to everyone who joined in on this fundraiser by purchasing“Star Kits”. It has been an unqualified success. We far exceeded our goals and have been forced to suspend sales. Rest assured we will certainly do this again next year!
Over the past 15 years or so beautifully lit stars have become a ubiquitous feature around the Mad River Valley. It all started when some local businesses owners in Waitsfield Village had an idea. Learn more about the history of the star phenomenon in the MRV. They assembled simple stars made of tree saplings creating a whimsical tableau which charmed people in the MRV. Over the years, momentum for the stars grew organically and the numbers increased. After a tragic accident took the lives of five local kids in 2016, the stars took on a more special meaning as they began appearing in groups of five. This year, a collaborative of local students, businesses, citizens and the Chamber of Commerce have come together to create and sell “Star Kits” with all proceeds going to a great cause.
Each kit has everything necessary to create a 6′ tall star. It includes five sturdy, pre-drilled cross sticks, all necessary hardware, a set of lights and a wicked cool MRV sticker . See this directions video to see how easy they are to build! (FYI – the screws included are, well… , star screws so you will need a star screwdriver)
“Star Kits” must be purchased on-line and picked up at these locations:
Mad River Valley Chamber of Commece
Friday December 18 from 9 am to 2 pm
1824 House Inn & Barn
Saturday, December 19 from 11 am to 2 pm
Or contact the Chamber to set up a pick-up time
All proceeds going to non-profits involved in honoring and remembering the five lives lost.
- Cyrus Zschau L.I.F.T.– The goal of L.I.F.T. is to inspire students and create lasting change by broadening their horizons through world travel and to foster a strong connection with other cultures.
- Janie Cozzi Foundation -The Janie Chase Cozzi Foundation promotes mentoring programs and provides financial support for middle school and high school girls in the areas of education, leadership, global awareness, arts, and athletics.
- Eli Brookens Memorial Fund – The Eli Brookens Memorial Fund is used to fund scholarships for middle schoolers to participate in a ski and ride program, something that meant so much to Eli
- Mary Harris’ Fund for Mad River Park – Mary was an avid soccer player and she honed her skills at Mad River Park. A donation will be made to the Mad River Recreation District directed to the Mad River Park in Mary Harris’ name.
- Liam Hale Adventure Scholarship – Offers unlimited skiing and riding, golf, mountain biking, health and recreation center access at Sugarbush Resort
This has been a tremendous, community-wide project. We’d like to thank;
- Harwood Union High School & Middle School for providing an intern and help with labor.
- The Ward Clapboard Mill, who donated the wood cores that are the foundation of the stars themselves
- Pomerantz Woodworking who cut the cores down to a usable size.
- 1824 House Inn & Barn who, with the help of a pod of Harwood Union Middle Schoolers who built the kits
- Bisbees Hardware for donating hardware and packaging for the kits.
- Mad River Valley Rotary Club who helped with distribution of the kits.