Mad River Valley Trails
The Mad River Valley's trails are a friendly playground for recreation, including: mountain biking, hiking, walking, cross-country skiing, back-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, picnicking, kayaking and canoeing, birding, and more.
HOW TO USE THE INTERACTIVE MAP BELOW:
Click the “sign post” icon at the bottom left to see the trail segments
Zoom in with the + and - icons to explore the trail segements
Click on the pins to see more info on each segment
Click the trail name to open a new window on the Trail Finder website
Walks & Rambles
- Blueberry Lake Recreation Trails - The Blueberry Lake trails are very popular for hiking and trail running. They were also designated in 2013 as an International Mountain Bike Association Model Trail-Gateway network and are great for beginning bikers.
- Kingsbury's Greenway -1.3 mile trail connects the Warren Riverside Park to the Sugarbush snowmaking pond on the Mad River. Managed and maintained by the Mad River Path Association.
- Waitsfield Country Road Loop - A moderate, 5 mile loop, elevation gain 500’ (paved and dirt roads)
- Fuller Hill & Warren Village - 7.5 mile road-walk loop that starts in Warren Village.
- The Warren Path - Moderate, 2 miles out and back, elevation gain 420’. It The features easy grades in a beautiful mixed hardwood forest, then some more challenging steep sections on the Vista Trail. The view is well worth the effort. Managed and maintained by the Mad River Path Association.
- Mill Brook Path - The Mill Brook Trail This pretty trail takes you through a hemlock forest and a deer yard. It is wooded, and although not very long, rolls up and down moderately steep hills which makes it more vigorous than its length would suggest. The path is narrow with a series of wooden footbridges and rocky terrain underfoot..
- North Fayston Walk -Easy, 4 mile loop, elevation gain 540’, (dirt roads). A fun back road loop on North Fayston, Center Fayston and Randall roads, with nice views of Burnt Rock Mt. and the high valley.
- West Hill Loop - This 5-mile loop will take you on a ramble through back-country roads with good views along the way
Moderate Walks & Hikes
- Bragg Hill Walk - Moderate, 4 mile loop, elevation gain 850’ (paved and dirt roads)
- Molly Stark's Balcony - 2.6 mile round-trip hike that gains over 500′ of elevation with a fabulous western viewDay Hikes
- Burnt Rock Mountain - The Hedgehog Brook Trail is a steep, 5.2 mile round-trip hike that connects with the Long Trail .6 miles from the summit. It's rocky and craggy up top and it offers some of the best views in the MRV.
Longer Day Hikes
- Mt. Abraham (from Lincoln Gap via Long) - The Lincoln Gap to Mt.Abraham portion of the Long Trail is a challenging hike to one of the most impressive summits in New England.
- General Stark Mountain (via Long Trail) - A 6.2 mile round-trip hike through forest across the top of Mad River Glen to the summit of General Stark Mountain. Begin at the Appalachian Gap and hike south.
- General Stark Mountain from the base of Mad River Glen Ski Area - This 5.8 mile round-trip meanders up 2,000' of vertical rise on the beautiful ski trails of Mad River Glen.
- Camel's Hump Loop (from Duxbury side) - This challenging and spectacular 6.4 mile round-trip, loop hike takes you above the trees to the 4,083′ summit of Vermont’s highest undeveloped peak.
- Camel's Hump (from Huntington Side) - A 6 mile round-trip loop trail to the summit of Camel’s Hump approaches the mountain from the west. Camel's Hump is the third highest peak in the state offering unbeatable views in every direction.
- Long Trail Gap to Gap - The MRV's "Full Monty"! A full day, or overnight, and 11.6 miles along the Long Trail will take you to the Summit of Mount Abraham, across the top of Lincoln Peak, Mount Ellen, and General Stark Mountain and end with an exciting descent to Rt. 17 and the Appalachian Gap.
To support trail stewardship efforts, please visit these Mad River Valley Trails Collaborative partners:
- CATAMOUNT TRAIL ASSOCIATION
- FRIENDS OF THE MAD RIVER
- GREEN MOUNTAIN CLUB
- HARWOOD UNIFIED UNION SCHOOL DISTRICT
- MAD RIVER GLEN
- MAD RIVER PATH ASSOCIATION
- MAD RIVER RIDERS
- MAD RIVER RIDGE RUNNERS
- MAD RIVER VALLEY PLANNING DISTRICT
- MAD RIVER VALLEY RECREATION DISTRICT
- OLE'S CROSS COUNTRY SKI CENTER
- STATE OF VERMONT
- SUGARBUSH RESORT
- TOWN OF MORETOWN
- TOWN OF FAYSTON
- TOWN OF WAITSFIELD
- TOWN OF WARREN
- US FOREST SERVICE
- VERMONT LAND TRUST